PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Online Backup...

Bubbles
Apr 22nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
What are the advantages of Online Backup? Is Online Backup Safe and Secure? How much technical know-how does it take to setup? And what happens if the Online Backup facility is destroyed by a disaster?

Need to mull things over before commiting! So your help and advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Bubbles
May 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Can anyone suggest a good online backup company for SMB's? If so, please share. And how much technical know-how would I need? Cheers!

SiberForum
May 10th, 2010, 03:31 AM
if your PC fails you will always have your data saved.

Robert | GH
May 12th, 2010, 05:33 AM
How much data do you need to backup?

Jackvinsly
May 12th, 2010, 08:05 AM
There is some online back up software available in a goggle.so just find out there. otherwise I have write here one company site name it can provide you some related software about online back up"net gear".

SiberForum
May 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM
There is some online back up software available in a goggle.so just find out there. otherwise I have write here one company site name it can provide you some related software about online back up"net gear".

I suppose he is not asking "where" he is asking "why" backup is needed at all. ;)

Bubbles
May 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I suppose he is not asking "where" he is asking "why" backup is needed at all. ;)

Not he, but she. But I'll let you off. :)

It's for a small business, roughly 25 employees each with their own PC and a few extras floating about. Not very good on technical jargon so thats why I also wanted to know about how much technical know-how is needed.

Basically, I just want to know peoples experiences with online backup companies/software. Positives and negatives would be greatly appreciated. How easy did they find it to implement?

Thanks.

HtLiam
May 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM
If you aren't good on the technical side then i would suggest going down the route of a fully managed service: NO IT EXPERTISE REQUIRED.
• Fully managed by backup experts, this includes 24x7 telephone and remote access support including setting up and management of backup sets and data retrieval.
• No software licensing required - can be installed on as many servers and desktops as required
• Award winning software
• Hosted in a highly secure, fully redundant data centre.

I would suggest going to holistictechnologies.co.uk

Hope this helps

duanemorrison.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Online Backup Services 71 rate or flag this page

The name is self descriptive and this hub is going to review some of the best known online backup services and sites.

You may want to also visit my related hubs on shareware and freeware backup software and the Windows integrated backup facility or my site on Data Storage Solutions.re expensive than Mozy Backup.

JKookServ
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
Doing and having backups are always good. Also, have your own backup instead of relying on backup service provider.

Bubbles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
I hear good things about Mozy Pro. Has anyone used them before? Would they suit me even though I'm based in the UK? Your experiences and reviews are greatly welcomed. :)

mark007
Aug 20th, 2010, 05:23 AM
It sounds like child. It's good, but you should also have an onsite backup close to you, so you can restore quickly. The offsite backup should only be used if, say, your house burns down. Carbonite works great for online backup. Online backup is really very useful hope you will get your answer.

Bubbles
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:46 AM
A remote, online, or managed backup service is a service that provides users with a system for backing up and storing computer files. Online backup providers are companies that provide this type of service.

Online backup systems are typically built around a client software program that runs on a schedule, typically once a day. This program collects, compresses, encrypts, and transfers the data to the remote backup service provider's servers. Other types of product are also available in the market, such as remote continuous data protection (CDP).

Providers of this type of service frequently target specific market segments. High-end LAN-based backup systems may offer services such as near-realtime transaction-level replication or open file backups. Consumer online backup companies frequently have beta software offerings and/or free-trial backup services.

Wikipedia is handy to have! :good::good:

clint999
Sep 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Doing and having backups are always good. Also, have your own backup instead of relying on backup service provider.

OOBU
Sep 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM
Hi, i am a BDM working in the online offsite backup world. The advantges, secure, encrypted offsite service normally 256bit encryption. Cost dependant on size and and whether you are an end user, or a compuputer re-seller.

The software and deployment are very user friendly.

Happy to email you some info if required,

My company are UK based for service and location of data storage. We offer enterprise class software that does not cost the earth.

tony

winny
Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
thanks for all post, i get many information from yours.:)

sarahgabriel
Oct 25th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Online-booking systems are usually built around a client software, that runs on a schedule, usually once a day. Other products are also available on the market, such as remote continuous data protection (CDP). Companies use offers online backup often have beta software and / or backup services free trial.

rajni12
Jan 25th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Online backup has many practical advantages compared to more conventional backup methods like CD/DVD, Zip drive, tape unit or external hard disk. Backups are fully automated on a daily basis or on a frequency set by yourself. You can automatically backup as many times a day as you like. It's very easier and safer for all to keep online backup.

RandyChrist
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:11 AM
What are the advantages of Online Backup?

Access Data anywhere, Anytime
Continuous Data Backup
File Versioning

Is Online Backup Safe and Secure?
Check for SSL Protection before choicing an online backup

How much technical know-how does it take to setup?
Most of the Online Backup software are plug & play module.

And what happens if the Online Backup facility is destroyed by a disaster?
Even though, the utility is destoryed, you data's are secure in remote server. You can retrieve the data without any issue.

shauntett25
Jul 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
ow do you configure e-mail notification. I followed instructions and e-mail failed. I'm not certain what to put in
the box just before my e-mail account password: my e-mail address? my name? some number I'm not aware of?
instructions from internet provider are not helpful with this.

nikkoo
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM
How much data do you need to backup?