PDA

View Full Version : Safe mode off host?

Wet Chicken
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Ok you guys are the masters, and I am here to learn, so go easy on me :D

I am looking for a host that will allow me to have safe mode turned off. I know that this feature has to do with mySQL but I'm not sure what it is or why it's so hard to find a host that will turn it off. So my first question is basically what is safe mode, and my second question is are there any good host out there that will allow me to not have it turned on :confused:

The reason why I need a host like this is because we run a forum for our customer service department, and the forum software needs the safe mode off to run correctly. Can anyone help me, or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks.

northwindwebhost.com
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:11 PM
what forum will you be using if you dont mind me asking?

Wet Chicken
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Hi. It's called Invision. Most of the features (maintenance type) in the ACP need it set to off to work correctly. I was told that I could manually work on the forums maintenance and achieve basically the same thing but we don't know enough about PHP or mySQL to do this so having the forum automatically do it for us is our best bet.

northwindwebhost.com
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
=) we currently use invision. I really didn't have to change our safe mode off, unless it was. I need to check. For invision all you need to do is change the CHMOD on some of the files.

Wet Chicken
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM
What version are you using? We are using the new 1.1 final. We need to update new skins and do some other uploading to the forum and according to their site this safe mode feature needs to be turned off before we can do them. Several other people have posted there with similar problems.

Also, I am wondering if we have this safe mode turned off, will it have anything to do with the forums security? In other words does safe mode block others from doing harm to our forum, or is safe mode for other functions? Thanks

northwindwebhost.com
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:01 PM
well, we are using 1.1. As far as security goes, i don't think it will be really an security issue. More like your server crashing.

I may be wrong.

Wet Chicken
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Should I read that to mean "server crashing = forum down" :D

Maybe I should just learn how to change the skins manually. This summer I will be opening up a SEO school and I was hoping to be able to use the same forum software for it also. I looked at their manual instructions and there was around 40 things that you had to do to change the skins manually, but I wouldn't want an unstable forum.

Do you happen to know if we would be able to turn the safe mode on/off locally, or would our host have to do this for us? I'm asking because once the forum was set up we wouldn't need the safe mode off anymore. It's just in the initial "design stage" of the forum that we need it turned off.

akashik
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Your best bet is probably for form a shortlist of web hosts that you feel meets your needs, then drop a note to them asking about safe_mode. To the best of my knowledge *most* hosts supporting PHP will have safe_mode off by default, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one that suits you.

Greg Moore

Wet Chicken
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Actually I haven't been able to find many who are willing to turn it off :(

The host that I had was fine, but when I told him that I needed it off or I would have to do business elsewhere, he just said bye-bye...